Thursday, June 3, 2010

Horsemanship-School in Session




Today is the first day of school. I arrived at the ranch in the morning, carrying my text book, Horseback Riding for Dummies by Audrey Pavia. I wore a shirt and jeans, without any jewelry. I found a pair of old rugged riding boots in the saddle room that fitted me. I love the simplicity of the uniform.

My instructor Carol led me to the stable where the school horses were. She said that it was important to make your presence intentional to the horses. Like me, they are easily frightened and they would panic. You don't want to startle them.

My school horse was called Sugar. What a sweet name literally! I only know how to greet her with a whisper and a smile. Carol then taught me some simple horse language to talk to her.

"Everyone will eventually come up with their own language," Carol said.

First she gave me an introduction on the mind of the horse and the equine society. She taught me how to enter the gate and put a halter on a horse. I practiced several times with Sugar. Even though it seemed like a simple task, there were a lot of practical wisdom and safety precautions of the procedure.

She showed me how to lead the horse out of the stable and walk into the arena.

"You have to walk side by side with her, keeping her with your pace. Although you have your space, and the horse has hers, she cannot invade yours, but you can cross hers," she said.

In the arena, Carol showed me ways to guide a horse on the ground, communicating with the lead rope. It wasn't exactly easy for me.

"You know, I am clumsy," I admitted to my instructor.

"Well, you will learn new skills. You will learn multitasking. You will learn to relax and be alert. You have to be in charge. You will have to become her leader," she affirmed me.

I think I sort of understand. However it does take a wise and strong leader to do it in a firm and loving way, like a parent with a child, or a teacher with a student.

There are a lot of subtlety and nuances to the techniques of telling the horse what is on your mind. You tell her what to do, not what not to do. You communicate through your body language and with your tack.

"There is a zen-like quality to the relationship of human with horses. A horse can sense your aura. If you are relaxed, she will feel it. If you are nervous, she will be too," Carol reminded me.

I walked Sugar back to her stable. I took out the halter on Sugar and closed the gate between us. I looked back at Sugar. She was resting in the stable, munching the hay.

"We are actually predators to the horses. They can easily kill us. What they need to do is just to kick us. The fact that they are willing to be with us; let us put a halter on them and ride on their backs; and learn to follow our commands; is truely amazing," Carol said thoughtfully.

I looked at Sugar again. She was such a magnificient and beautiful creature. And she had just taken a walk with me, submitting to my will.

It is indeed amazing. I am in awe and feel a deep gratitude.

1 comment:

  1. Is it Sugar in the photo? What a beautiful creature! I love horses, in fact all animals.

    ReplyDelete

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)