Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Horsemanship-Grooming and Bonding

I met Tigger at the ranch.

Tigger looked like a white horse. But Carol told me he was actually born a gray horse. He got white eyelashes but gray eyelids. This was how you could tell he was actually a gray horse. But over time his hair grew lighter and lighter. If you looked carefully, there were actualy still gray spots on the body.

Carol showed me the tools-the scrubs, the brushes, the combs, etc, and the safe and efficient procedures to groom him.

"They are enormous creatures. You just don't want to get hurt when they accidentally bump into you, hoofing or kicking"

I asked her if they liked to get groomed, She said yes. If they made some special sound, their mouth chewing and their eyes half closed, they were enjoying it.

Carol said that she disagreed with those who thought grooming a horse had nothing to do with horseback riding. "It is bonding time. It is important to bond with your horse."

I learned that when a horse is in the herd, they will groom each other. I also learned that horses like companionship. If they do not have other horses, they will take human, or even dogs or chickens as companions. They just don't like to be alone.

I scrubed his hair and combed his mane, like giving him a massage I petted him and talked to him. I pampered him.

What a difference it made after grooming. Tigger looked refreshed. His hair was radiant, shiny, and smooth. I walked this beautiful and content horse back to his stable.

I have never taken care of an animal in my life, except that I have kept and fed a fish before. But I don't think that counts. It was strangely satisfying to have served Tigger. I enjoyed my bonding time with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)