Thursday, June 10, 2010

Conditioning for Dance


One of the curriculum for my summer school is "Conditioning for Dance", This class is offered to both dancers and non-dancers. It combines techniques and skills from dance, exercise and various body therapy programs such as pilates, yoga, Alexander, etc, to enhance flexibility, strength, postural alignment, balance, coordination, circulation, endurance, and movement memory.

We have to study the human anatomy. There are so many technical terms to memorize. I felt like I am reading a medical textbook.

My instructor Kathryn admires the human body. She said that the more she studies human anatomy, the more she is in awe with how splendidly we are created.

We had an assessment of our postures and our skeletal allignment in class the other day. Now I know what was out of alignment in my normal posture. Perhaps that is why I am so clumsy. I am on a mission to fight this annoying condition.

I can always spot the dancers in our class. Their bodies are lean and toned and they move confidently. Looking at them gives me motivation to improve my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)