Thursday, June 17, 2010

Horsemanship-mutual respect

As I was reading on horsemanship tonight, I found an article that is really profound. It surprisingly shed much light for me to understand human relationship as well.

The writer reflected on how many horse owners were trying too hard to earn the affection of their equine companions by bribing them with "treats". I am quoting a part of the article here:

"The bottom line is a good relationship with your horse has very little to do with spoiling them. In fact it has little to do with love either, at least not the way we as humans equate love.

What a good relationship is based on is mutual respect. If you love your horse, then respect your horse enough to do what is in his best interest. This is far more important than fulfilling your own fantasy of a human like bond that horses neither understand or appreciate.

If you want to show your horse how much you care, make sure he has a clean water bucket, groom him today even if he is only going to get dirty again, exercise him, put an apple with his dinner if it pleases you.

At the end of the day what your horse truly comprehends and appreciates is his dependence upon you. He can depend on the fact that he will be safe, warm, fed and treated kindly by the partner at his side."

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)