Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Horsemanship-Bareback Riding

I got to the ranch early this morning. After I gave Sugar a good grooming, we put the bridle on her. However, it looked like she was going to bite. Carol then whispered something gentle to her, petted her neck and Sugar immediately calmed down.

Carol told me there must be some traumatic incidents in Sugar's past regarding the bridle. She must have been hurt by someone. I feel sorry for Sugar. Horses just bear the painful moment and get on with it, until that memory comes back to haunt them. And it always does...

**
These are what I learned in my lesson today:

1. Always make sure the horse will be comfortable, not just us. Take care not to hurt her.

2. Don't get into the way of a horse-this one is especially for me!

3. Proper mounting and dismounting are physical skills. You have to lift your weight, jump high, and be very flexible. Not like me, crawling on and sliding off her back the first time!

4. Keep the proper equitation
Your alignment is right in the middle, sitting square and deep and balanced on the horse back. Now doing the right thing feels wrong after a lifetime of bad habits. Carol gave me some exercises to "confuse" the brain, so I don't hold on to the set habits and be able to build new posture and muscle memory.

5. Feel the natural rhythm of the movement of the horse
There was no saddle between Sugar and me today. I rode on her bareback only with a pad and a Navarro. Carol said that this will help me feel her muscle movement. After all, our goal eventually is to feel the movement of two bodies completely in sync.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)