Saturday, May 29, 2010

Horsemanship-The Horse Whisperer


In preparation of riding school, I have been reading and researching on horsemanship. It has been an enlightening process. It has shed new lights for me to understand humanity as well.

Gentle horsemanship involves communicating in the language of horses and using their logic, rather than expecting them to use ours. It teaches us not to blame the horses as they look for the easy way out. We should show them there is a place to go and take them through. The horse and human need to learn how to liberate themselves so that they can explore the harmony between them.

Being social creatures, both horse and human need close contact with others; they need love, support, understanding, recognition and stimulation to become whole and balanced. When you are learning how to get with your horse, you are learning about what there is to see. You are trying to get with that horse's mental system. This is done through feel, because this is what fits a horse.

I watched a 1998 movie "the Horse Whisperer" tonight which illuminates the art and wisdom of horsemanship for me. This movie also explores the subtle relationship between man and animal, mother and child, husband and wife, and man and woman. It has demonstrated many times without diaologues, the power of touch.

This movie is adapted from Nick Evans' novel. A young girl and her horse was left with serious physical and emotional scars after a devastating accident. Her mother took them both to travel to the wild west to seek out a "horse whisperer". A horse whisperer is a horse trainer who adopts a sympathetic view of the motives, needs, and desires of the horse, based on natural horsemanship and modern equine psychology. The story then unfolds the many facets of relationship and the healing process on the ranch.

I love the superb cast: Robert Redford is the horse whisperer and also the director of the film; the young girl was played by then teenage Scarlett Johansson; the mother is Kristin Scott Thomas, whom I consider one of the most captivatiing actresses of our time.

The breathtaking cinematography takes you on a outward journey of the beautiful scenary of Montana. At the same time, its powerful story-telling takes you to an inward journey of self-discovery and healing. You experience emotions like fear, pain, despair, confusion along with the characters. You also cheer with them as they find courage to make choices, and finally finding freedom. It is a poignant film, full of strength and grace.

And now how I want to touch a horse!

1 comment:

  1. The acting in this beautiful movie is superb. Robert Redford and Kristin Scott Thomas were outstanding. Robert Redford not only heals horses but he also heals the lives of the young girl (played by Scarlett Johannson) and the mother (Kristin Scott Thomas). The movie is all about healing.

    ReplyDelete

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)