Wednesday, May 5, 2010

An Education


I watched "An Education" on DVD tonight. First time I watched it on the airplane. I was already captivated by the film. During this second time, I got to savor every word of the script. The special features of the DVD are very helpful in understanding and appreciating the crafts of this film.

The movie is about a bright young school girl in the 60's London who encountered an older man, introducing her to the glamorous world of adulthood. It was her memoir of a coming-of-age journey.

This film directed by Lone Sherifig is so far the best film I have watched this year. To me it is British movie at its best. I love the accents and the Bristish dry humor. The script is written by Nick Hornby who also wrote "about a boy"(another very good movie). His writing is charming and witty.

There are sensitivity and attention to details in every aspect of the film. For example, the beautiful cinematography of the Paris montage are without words but it visually captures the emotions of the entire adventure. Also, I love the film score at the opening scene. They use light-hearted 60's swings, which really sets the nostalgic mood for that era.

The entire acting ensemble is brilliant. I adore the lead actress Carey Mulligan, who is such a natural talent. I have no doubt that she is going to have an amazing acting career. You can literally watch her mature on screen as she goes through her "education".

This is movie magic. It takes you on an emotional journey. I too, came to an awakening along with her:
"I feel older, but not wiser"

What education can bring us out of our fragility and innocence?

1 comment:

  1. I have never watched this movie. But I think that film is worth a watch. Thank you for your good sharing.

    ReplyDelete

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)