Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A teacher's look

5pm May 1
In my own students' "piano graduation ceremony" hosted by the music teachers in this area, every student was introduced by their own writing. They had to answer a couple questions, including:
1. What are you interested in studying after graduation?
2. What was the biggest influence in your music study?

One student answered:
1. Not studying
2. My teacher's wrath

***
I always think I am a pretty good student. I always do my homework and seldom ditch classes. Recently however, especially after my trip, it is hard to find motivation to do anything, let alone writing a final project in Japanese.

7:40pm May 10
I showed up in class tonight without my project. I even walked in ten minutes late because I went to eat Pho.

My teacher said to me, "C san, everyone already draw a number for the presentation. Now you will be last."

"I did not do it..." I told her.

Then it was this look on her face, somewhat between puzzled and disbelief, hard to describe.

Oh, I forgot how polite Japanese are. so I hurried and added, "Gomenasai" (I am sorry).

"You did not do it?" she asked, with a slow, subdued voice.

I wish I could come up with an excuse. But looking at the expression on her face, I suddenly found myself speechless.

"No. gomenasai!"

"Do you know it is 10 percent of your grade?"

"hai, I do."

"So you are taking this class credit or no credit?"

"Hmm...no...but...I don't have time...I don't care for my grade..." I mumbled.

"You did not do it?" she asked a second time.

I shaked my head.

Then there was silence. She did not say anything more, nor asked me why, nor asked me to make it up.

Just that look on her face.

***
All my Japanese teachers are excellent teachers. They have utmost respect for their profession-sensei. They are extremely hard working and responsible. I have been studying with Matsuda sensei for a year now. There are not a lecture that was not well-prepared and not a homework assignment that was not corrected and returned.

This is the final week. I stayed in class tonight listening to everyone's presentation....

10:30pm, May 10
I returned home. Without eating my usual late night snack, without changing into pajamas, I turned on my computer and started typing.


2am, May 11
My room looked like it was just hit by a tornado of paper, notes and books.

I just sent my teacher an email.

"Matsuda sensei,
Gomenasai, I have done a simple report on ths topic. I have attached a draft for your reference. I am wondering whether I can still do my presentation this Wednesday?..."

I discovered something new about myself this morning:
1. Laziness is my human nature.
2. Sometimes a teacher's look is the biggest motivator.

2 comments:

  1. Great piece of writing Charlotte! I love how the #1/#2 in the beginning echos the #1/#2 at the end. How often we find other people's thoughts/behaviors foreign until we see that we are no different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence! I too had to write a journal in Japanese. I just didn't feel like doing it and I didn't care at all. I don't think it's the laziness. There are always times when you should be doing something but suddenly all the reasons for doing it are gone.

    The story ends the same here: I will hand in my journal next monday.

    ReplyDelete

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)