Thursday, May 13, 2010

mi-meh-mah-moh-moooo

I always love singing. I think it is the foundation of musical expression. Often I try to create the illusion of Bel Canto (Italian for beautiful singing) on the piano. I love Chopin's music because it is poetry on the piano with the expressiveness of opera. I adore the violin because it imitates the human voice.

With the excitement of a child, but the self-consciousness of an adult, I started my first voice lesson.

At first I was moving around restlessly. I was making my teacher dizzy. If he could hand-cuff me and put a chain on my feet, he would. Anyway, he ordered me to rest my hands on the piano.

mi-meh-mah-moh-moooo...

It is awkward to hear your own voice when you are fully aware of it.

My teacher explained to me that it is normal for people to feel uncomfortable hearing their own voice, because we simply don't perceive our voice the way other people do. He assured me that it was ok and told me to stop over-analyzing and stop the self-criticism.

e-e-e-e-e, e-e-e-e-e, e-e-e-e-e...

I guess it is not as bad as I thought.

mi-moh-mi, mi-moh-mi, mi-moh-mi...

My teacher asked me to imagine a singer I love. and not to worry about singing the right pitch.

He said it is Audiation. Audiation is the process of mentally hearing and comprehending music, even when no physical sound is present. It is a cognitive process by which the brain gives meaning to musical sounds. In essence, audiation of music is analogous to thinking in a language.

sol-fa-mi-re-doh...

I am thinking of Barbara Bonnie...

Then it is time for breathing exercises. He taught me how to breath through the mouth as if I am fogging the mirror, but with no noise from the larynx.

inhale-exhale...inhale-exhale..inhale-exhale...

It is sort of like a yoga breathing meditation. There is complete silence...except for my growling stomach.

Finally, I am loosen up.

Now he let me sing my favorite song. I jumped on it and sang my heart out.

***

I left feeling hopeful, giving him a wink.

He is a genius, better than a shrink.

2 comments:

  1. What a gifted person you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, cw, you haven't actually heard me sing yet!
    I am enjoying being a student again so I can experience what it is like to be taught.
    Hope that help me become a better teacher myself.

    ReplyDelete

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)