Monday, May 24, 2010

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day


"Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" has always been one of the children's books which I can really relate to. This Judith Viorst's 1972 classic still speaks to children and adults today.

Alexander has one of those dreadful days. He woke up and his hair was a mess. Everything went wrong. School was awkful: His mom forget to pack his dessert; His teacher did not like his drawing of an invisible castle; His best friend called him a third best friend. At home, he had to eat lima beans for supper; and when he went to bed, his cat decided to sleep with his brother instead...

He pondered maybe he should move to Australia...

***

Dear Alexander,

Today I have one of your kind of day.

I planned to enjoy my Monday without school by web surfing and listening to music online. I also tried to clean up my living space as well as the clutters on my computer.

I accidentally deleted some important files and it ceased to function properly. You know how I could not live without my machine. I labored six hours to try to fix it in vain.

Everything in the house went wrong as well. In the evening, I tried to cook myself some soup for dinner. I forgot I left it boiling because my mind was fixated on the computer. The house was almost set on fire. The pot was burnt and there was not a drop of soup to eat.

So at the end of the day, I was alone, exhausted and hungry. The computer was down, the house was a mess. Nothing went as planned: no music, no art, no book, no dinner...

Dear Alexander, indeed we should move to Australia...

3 comments:

  1. Posted on behalf of Lamina o'oz:

    Dear Alexander,

    I think things are not as bad as you feel. There will always be terrible days. But I know there are still things even on terrible days to be thankful for. There is still music to be heard and your hearing intact to hear it. There are still art to be enjoyed. There are still books and you can still read. You can still feel your hunger and have a desire to eat.

    You don't need to move to Australia to have a good day. Unfortunately, you will still have bad days there.

    I say hang in there!

    ***

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    joy shared double the joy
    pain shared half the pain, right?

    Evertime I have a dreadful day, I think of Alexander. We all have the reality of dreadful days. I sleep at the end of the day, knowing the day has past and "tomorrow is another day"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my all-time favorite Children's Books! It is a classic! I was going through a terrible, horrible, awful, good for nothing day a couple of days ago. I remembered Alexander.

    ReplyDelete

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)