Friday, April 2, 2010

A tale of three cities- Hong Kong, day one


Sisterhood with an Esthetician

Early in the morning on Good Friday, we arrived in Hong Kong International Airport, exhausted after a fifteen-hour turbulent flight. However, I was immediately impressed by the city's efficiency and modernity.

The weather was foggy and a little windy. Today is the first of a five-day long weekend, including "Ching-Ming day", a day to visit and "sweep" your ancestors' tombstones. The city is unusually quiet.

***

My Aunt May took me to her beauty salon and requested a facial for me.
"It's good to close your eyes and rest after a long flight"

A lot of the Hong Kong middle-class ladies I encountered have this ritual of going to beauty salon regularly.
They are more alert of their appearance and are generally more polished than their California counterpart.

***

The esthetician started with a massage on my back.
"Wow it was so dry!"
I agreed. I did not tell her I came from the dry land called California.
I noticed her own refined complexion.
She then touched my face, examined it and sighed,
"You must not have taken care of it for a very long time"

As if out of pity, she started to caress my face, exploring its imperfection. Her fingers were so soft and her touch so gentle. It was a strange pleasure to have a stranger taking such concern and care for your face, up close and personal.

I felt so pampered by such a luxury and fell asleep for most of the session. But somehow half awake, I could still hear her sweet soft voice explaining each procedure, urging me on how important it is for a woman to take care of herself.

Then, after a long silence, she mentioned,
"your aunt May comes here often. She is a good person. She has a good heart."

***

When all is done, she looked pleased.
"Now Your skin look different. You can go out!"
she also reminded me,
"There are no ugly women, only lazy ones"

I smiled, and promised her,
"OK"

1 comment:

  1. This entry was rather humorous...I suppose I'm one of those "lazy ones."

    ReplyDelete

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)