Friday, April 2, 2010

A tale of three cities-Hong Kong, food mecca pilgrimage

Taste and smell have memory. I am searching for and reliving all the sensations of smell and taste in childhood.

I miss the freshly deep-fried Chinese donuts and rice noodle "fried double", steamy congee with minced beef, and silky "stocking" milk tea. My longings became realities on the first morning in Hong Kong. I had them all for breakfast as a morning devotion.

Even a trip to the grocery store was fascinating. I found "Garden Chocolate Fingers" and "Jacob Orange Biscuits"......Imported goods from all over the world are stocked up on all the aisles.

There are countless choices for a meal, and you have many meals a day. There are places for all kinds of specialty food: desserts, pastries, snacks, noodles, or anything you can imagine. Anthony Bourdain(the host of an American tv food show)has seen nothing in Hong Kong yet. I have a sensory overload.

I am in a food heaven. After twenty years living oversea, I still feel the bond with the people here. Eating well is our birthright. We shared the same philosophy and purpose of life: Eat, drink and be merry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)