Thursday, April 15, 2010

A tale of three cities -Taipei, east and west, old and new












We stayed in two completely different hotels in Taipei. Tsubaki Japanese hotspring Ryokan (inn) and French boutique Hotel Eclat.
My sister-in-law used to be a local of Taipei. She was so thoughtful in planning our excursion, she wanted us to experience two polars of the city -east and west, old and new.

Tsubaki Japanese Inn
The inn is built on a valley between the mountains. It has Kyoto-style buildings and gardens. The highlight of the inn is the hotspring soak in the guest room, with the view of the mountain and streams. You feel one with nature.
We have Japanese 懷石料理 for dinner at the inn. Ironically, 懷石 was named after the ascetic practice of a zen monk, embracing a hot stone to sooth a hungry stomach. 懷石料理 used to refer to a very simple temple meal. It is now an elaborate and refined multi-course meal, with a high standard of the quality of food and its artistic presentation.

Hotel Eclat
When I entered the hotel, I immediately saw two big bronze sculptures. On the label, it reads Salvador Dali. The hotel staff told me that they are authentic. They are worth fifty million Taiwan dollars. (1.7 million US$)
The hotel is only two years old. The amenities are so modern. Almost everything is motion-sensitive. There is meticulous attention to details. You can even turn the bathroom walls transparent!

Taipei 101 Building
We had dinner at a restaurant on the 85th floor in the tallest building in Taiwai, Taipei 101. It was the tallest building in the world, until 2008 when Buri Dubai was opened. The meal was great. The panoramic view of Taipei was the main course.

2 comments:

  1. How about something more Taiwanese? cw

    ReplyDelete
  2. to cw: I did eat a lot of Taiwanese local cusine. You will find those pics on facebook. Too bad, I was too absorbed in eating and found no inspiration in writing about it.
    Honestly, we need "pain" to inspire us, as in my photos shot ordeal!

    ReplyDelete

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)