Saturday, April 10, 2010

A tale of three cities -Nantou, day one

Taiwan is only two hours away by air from Hong Kong. But as soon as I landed, I knew I was in another country. Every country has its own culture and every family, its own subculture...

Elevator in the House
My in-law's new home is in Nantou city. It is a nicely built, four-story house. They hired an interior designer and she did a really fine job. One can see the designer's touch everywhere in the house. There is even an elevator inside. I told them I would take the stairs to get more exercises. The fact is, I heard that my mother-in-law was once trapped in that elevator for twenty minutes!


Appetizer for Breakfast
My brother-in-law had an argument with my father-in-law before breakfast. It is this family's usual appetizer.

Everyone HAS to eat a huge apple first for detox purpose. My stomach was filled up by the apple. There is only enough room left for an egg, and coffee. I really miss Hong Kong breakfast, especially milk tea, congee and "fried double"...


Wedding Gowns
My sister-in-law showed us the itinerary for the week-long celebration of my parents-in-law's 50th wedding anniversary. There is one program: "trying out wedding gowns". I asked her about it.

"We are going to pick out our favorite wedding gowns and we are going to have our pictures taken in a professional studio a couple days later" She answered.
"What? we?" I was shocked.
"Yes, to make them less self-conscious, we are going to take wedding pictures again along with them."
I almost had a heart attack. It has to be a joke.
"I don't want to wear a wedding gown! I will bring my own clothes, Please!" I begged her.
My sister-in-law was irritated,
"It is up to you. However, I have to bargain with the portrait studio to pay a good fee to do this. It is a real privilege for you."

***
I rushed to my luggage to dig out my new club Monaco dress and put it on...
Oh no! since I already gained five pounds in Hong Kong, it doesn't fit well anymore.

I am going to have nightmares of a makeover monster in a wedding gown, resembling myself, attacking me...
Now I have to find an alternative plan to get out.

This week is going to be comical!

7 comments:

  1. "I have to live for others and not for myself: that's middle-class morality." ~~ George Bernard Shaw.
    Too bad there are always this kind of "wedding gown" moments in some part of your life. Compromise or dissent? Would love to hear how your story goes.

    Good luck,
    cw

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What then do we live for, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn. "
    — Mr. Bennett, Pride and Prejudice

    Thank you for sharing your misery. You make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I'm causing you 1 pound only in Hong Kong. Really want to see your pictures.
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

    It was amusing to read your story. I love it!

    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am kicking my legs laughing so hard -- you in wedding gown again?!!! ho ho ho ...

    Now, here are the reason why you should do it:
    1. A lot of people I know actually flew to Taiwan to get their wedding pictures taken. So your sister-in-law was right -- it's a real "privilege" for you ;-)
    2. This is a true test of how good a daughter-in-law you are!
    3. This experience actually aligns with your "mountain-lion" philosophy -- "I know I have to deal with my fear in order to fully love life and appreciate its beauty around me."
    4. Well, the fact is I really want to see the pictures! (Mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah)

    Don't worry, just put these pictures away like you did to your real wedding pictures. ;-) Go for it, Mountain Lion!

    Ah Man

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest, it looks like you have no choice here, you must do it. How dreadful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, haven't heard from you since then, you must be busy doing fitting and pics taking :p

    well, if it's any consolation, the news that you might be required to "sacrifice" has already brought joy to us (needless to say, we certainly will have even greater joy in seeing the pics, so please ......)

    No fear !!!!!!

    Ah Wong

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your comments. I already feel lots of support to tread the deep water. hahaha stay tunned!

    ReplyDelete

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)