Thursday, March 25, 2010

Humpty Dumpty



I started my first music position in old town Orange. Now after many years, I return to the Orange circle, but this time as a choir member.
***

I remember hearing the harmony of the intervals third and sixth for the first time as a child. I thought it was the most beautiful sound in the world.

In Junior high, our music teacher Mr. Lam told me to sing in the girls' chorus and to play piano for the boys' chorus. Those days you did not say no to a teacher. But I am glad I was submissive and I am grateful to him. These choral acitivities have given me some of the fondest memories in childhood.

I still can hear the music we sang in my head. I especially like the boys' "Humpty Dumpty"

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

We won a first place in Hong Kong School Music Festival. What a significant event in a twelve-year old's life! How proud we were, performing in Hong Kong City Concert Hall and recording for the classical radio!

However, being the only girl in a boys' chorus is not all that fun sometimes.
Not if you open your school bag and find a huge fake spider!
***

Now that I have grown up, having spent some years studying music. I have discovered more beautiful harmony than just thirds and sixths: major, minor, diminished chords and even chords that "crash" have their own charm. There is a fascinating sound world in choral music. My appreciation of music may be more sophisticated now, but the joy of singing in a good choir remains the same: learning good music, refining choral techniques, enjoying team work, building comradeship.

Just for the simple pleasure of feeling like a child again, how can I keep from singing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)