Saturday, March 13, 2010

behind the glamour

I have been evaluating for the Music Teacher Association of California for their annual piano examination for many years. Students from first to twelveth grade, ranging from level one to advanced are individually evaluated for their techniques, sight reading and performance.

Today the experience was especially memorable. My assignments took place in California State University Long Beach, in a large choral room with a Steinway grand piano in the middle. The spot lights were on. The room was empty and quiet, with no audience.

A young man in his twenties came in. He was auditioning for his level two certificate as an adult student. He was nervous. His hands were shaking. It took a while for him to calm down.

Then he started to play. He played through all the required elements with the dedication of an adult and the enthusiasm of a child. He treated his music with utmost respect, performing Bach's minuet and a rag-time contemporary piece.

At the end of the session, he eagerly asked me:
"How did I do?"

Never having been asked earnestly of approval from a grown man, I assured him with a smile,
"well done!"

With a big grin on his face, he noded his head. I heard him, stepping out of the room and shouting at someone,
"I PASSED!"

Yes, you passed with flying colors.

***

A fifth grader came in for her level five examination. She wore glasses and a pony tail. Her feet could barely reach the pedal. She even came in with her own pedal extension. Her manners communicated to me that she is taking this evaluation seriously.

I listened intently when she played. She was enjoying her time with her music. Her techniques were spotless clean. Her fast movement was full of joy and vitality; Her slow movement was expressive and eloquent; Her phrasing and tone color was exquisitely beautiful. Her performance was mature beyond her age.

Her music has really moved me. It reflected the innocence and purity of the human spirit. This child has remarkable talent and she has been nurtured by a conscientious and capable teacher. She has received some very thoughtful musical training.

It was delightful to meet a gifted young student who has such devotion to her art. I recommended her for the highest honor. I wish her a wonderful journey of musical discovery.

I am also grateful for her teacher who has shaped such a fine young artist. It gives me much hope and encouragement for our profession.

For one moment, three strangers, shared a special connection through our work and music.

***
We all see the glamour of performance on stage. We don't see, behind the closed doors, there are many who are disciplined and labor routinely for their art, with no applause.

Only the creation quietly bears testimony of its creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)