Friday, March 12, 2010

up in the air


I just watched "Up in the Air" in which George Clooney's performance earned him an Oscar best actor nomination. He has found his match of onscreen chemistry in Vera Farmiga, whom I found irresistably sexy and attractive.
Clooney played Ryan Bingham who literally lives his life out of a suitcase. All year long he travels all over the world for business. His chance encounter with Alex, who is a fellow business traveler, along with his sidekick protege, help him realize that life is about the connections that one makes along the journey.
The movie also explores the human condition of loneliness and the alienation of people in the modern world. It is a deeper movie than I expected.

"Up in the Air is light and dark, hilarious and tragic, bouncy and brainy, romantic and real"---Entertainment Weekly.

3 comments:

  1. The quote usually goes: art imitates life... But why do you say life imitates art? Did you think the movie( art) imitated some part of your experience (life)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you think that life imitates art sometimes? It happens to me all the time. It is like your life is becoming the plot of some novels you have just read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose when life imitates art, it is more eerie. After finishing writing her book about the aftermath of a wife telling her husband to drop dead and he did of a heart attack (Life After Death), Muske-Dukes lost her own husband to a fatal heart attack.

    ReplyDelete

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)