Monday, July 12, 2010

Lisbeth Salander


It is not so often that I encounter fictional characters who are so captivating that I feel like they really exist. Last time it happened in 1991 when I came across Milan Kundera's "Unbearable Lightness of Being": Tomas, Tereza and Sabina. I lived with them ever since.

Now I just found Lisbeth Salander from Swedish writer Stieg Larsson's trilogy. I watched the movie adaptation of the novel "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" on DVD and was so intrigued by the movie: its plots and social commentaries, but especially the heroine Lisbeth Salander, a genius computer hacker with a troubled past. She is a social misfit, so damaged but will never be crushed. I went to the movie theater to watch the sequel "The Girl Who Played with Fire" the next day and bought the third book "The Girl who Kicked the Hornets' Nest" afterwards.

Larsson is a writer of incedible talent with a conscience for social justice. He left us too soon at age fifty in 2004. These are the books that people all over the world are now reading. Their popularity is a phenomena in Europe. These series of books are mystery drama, somewhat reminds me of "The Silence of Lamb", but I find Lisbeth Salander so much more complexed and fascinating. Swedish actress Noomi Rapace has transformed herself into the character. Her performance is a chilling perfection.

I am yet to find out more about Lisbeth and what will happen to her from the novel. I think I will live with her for a while, studying about her, as if I really know her.

1 comment:

  1. As I watched the "Dragon Tattoo" movie, I see
    Lisbeth Salander as a young woman who possesses exceptional abilities, intelligence, resourcefulness, perseverance, and social conscience. As a very wounded soul, she is unable to express herself in words, but she expresses herself in actions. As a victim of rape and abuse, she has a fierce determination and goal to bring men who abuse women to justice.

    Besides Stieg Larsson, a lot of credit goes to Niels Arden Oplev, the director of the "Dragon Tattoo", for finding the talented actress Noomi Rapace & to believe in her abilities to play the part of Lisbeth. Noomi Rapace is an amazing actress who was able to completely embody the character of Lizbeth; Rapace's real personality is very feminine but she was able to change into a completely different person to bring Lisbeth Salander to life.

    As Roger Ebert says in his movie review, the character of Lizbeth Salander was the most interesting and intriguing character he has encountered in the movies in a very long time. Lisbeth Salander's character is more interesting than the movie itself.

    ReplyDelete

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)