Tuesday, July 20, 2010

One Step at a Time

In my conditioning for dance class, our instructor is teaching us how to assess our gaits. Gait is the pattern of movement of our limbs. I found out there are so many potential problems related to my own gait. I have never been conscious of my own walking all my life. No wonder I am clumsy! For example, I lean more on my right side; I lock my knees; there is tension in my mid-back, etc.

Coincidentally, my horseback riding instructor has told me that my "seat" needed to be balanced. Otherwise, my horse will not be able to walk straight. The horses are such intelligent and sensitive animals that they can even sense our involuntary muscle. They will be the extension of our postures and movements.
.
These lessons remind me of the concepts in Eckhart Tolle's book "The Power of Now".
Tolle pointed us to the truth of "all we have is now" and it is enlightening to be aware of the present moment.

So in order to develope healthy spine and gestures, I am learning to take "one step at a time" literally, now!

***

I also experience this profound concept of engaging in the present moment as a musician. Music is the art of sound manifested through time. So whether I am practicing, performing or teaching, it is crucial for me to be present and be conscious of the moment.

Once a performance is over, we have left with the memory of it as an impression. Our art may seem elusive, but our ability to be a better musician rewards us at each present moment. We gain more awareness and insights, and a richer experience to draw upon, at each new opportunity.

During one interivew, the actress Jane Fonda was asked what was the most fulfiling moment in her acting career. She answered that it was when there was a especially demanding scene. All the spotlight was on her. Everyone was wondering whether she had the chops to pull it off...

And she nailed it. That was the moment for her.

Perhaps the true essence of great artists are not only what they have done, but also their consciousness of great work to be created, at the moment of now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation.

Alice replied, rather shyly,

"I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."

"What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!"

"I can't explain MYSELF, I'm afraid, sir" said Alice,

"because I'm not myself, you see."



(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 5)